Re: [LAU] Multiple asynchronous JACK chains resampled?

From: Jonathan Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 23 2016 - 19:40:04 EET

> I do understand that JACK is designed to be completely
> synchronous. But a good pipelined architecture, can take multiple
> synchronous processing chains running independently
> (asynchronously to each other), and then merge them at the output
> end.
>

> That implies (a) extra CPU load (b) possible loss of quality.
Yup. No risk and no resources, no gain :-) But given what I have (and
what is within reach with a stack of RPis), it seems well worth it to try.

> What I want to do is the equivalent using JACK at the synchronous
> level, so that I take advantage of more of my computing power.
> Eventually I will want to do exactly the same using four or five
> RPi-compatibles, with just one of them having the audio output;
>

> Doing this correctly would imply using a single word clock distributed
> to all your R-Pi's. But I doubt that you're going to do that. Instead,
> you're going to try to distribute the "JACK clock".
>
> You have two choices:
>
> (1) try to use one of the implementations of netjack, which
> effectively distributes the "JACK clock" across the network
> (2) the "other" zita tool, zita-njbridge, which is a client that
> sends/receives audio over a (local) network and resamples as
> necessary. You will still need to run JACK on each R-Pi and decide
> what to use as the clock via your choice of backend. No clock sync is
> assumed.
Indeed, that sounds like my starting place. I have to admit that I like
the zita-njbridge approach more, because that way, since I am definitely
resampling before it hits the audio hardware, it is only a very simple
and short chain -- IP inputs to zita-njbridge to hardware -- which has
to be synchronous with the physical audio chipset. So the DSP % usage
on the hardware-connected chain becomes low, because it is as simple as
it is, and each of the chains in action have a lot less also,
distributing the work carefully. If zita-njbridge treats zero input in
the stream as silence, the overall benefit should be enormous :-)

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb@email-addr-hidden   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!