Re: [LAU] Building an Open Source keyboard rig

From: Ffanci Silvain <silvain@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 02 2016 - 23:32:04 EET

Ben Bell, Mar 2 2016:
> I figure some sort of Mini/Nano ATX with SSD, stripped back systemd boot, Jack,
> LinuxSampler, a reasonable low-latency multiple output soundcard... some
> leftoevers for good quality sample libraries...
Exactly, what I would have gone for. Perhaps the Banana Pi may serve you. I think it has an SATA slot and a quadcore 900MHz CPU, which should be fine for LinuxSampler. I've had it running on a slower machine without issues. The only caveat: RAM. But with an SSD, LinuxSampler doesn't need too many samples buffered.

For sounds: Sampletekk should still have a few nice pianos. I enjoyed the acoustic sound of the Yamaha 7CG (7 sea grand). Take your pick really. The Salamander and Maestro free pianos are good too.

Mellotron: QGB's/Taijii guy's Gigatron gigasample sounds good. The sound range is limited. You can buy samples on CD and hack them into SFZ format. It's not that bad. Perhaps there's even some nice software for that.

Organ: I love setBfree. When it comes to the other electronic organ classic: bristol. Yeah I know, many of its synths don't convince as emulations, they weren't meant to be. But the organ sounds great! Pipe organ: Aeolus (also has a textUI for low resource consumption) or download or buy a gigasample or soundfont.

Electric pianos: Either Sampletekk, which is very good or I've seen a lovely post about acoustic, electric and toy pianos on bedroomproductions. If you search for free toy piano sound library, you should find it.

If you go for all the commercial alternatives included: about 400GBP for the sounds, including Mellotron. There was a two-CD set, which was highly regarded, containing just raw audiofiles. I suppose you have enough MIDI keyboards. :)

Ta-ta

----
Ffanci
* Homepage: https://freeshell.de/~silvain