Re: [LAU] Building an Open Source keyboard rig

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 05 2016 - 15:16:48 EET

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 12:20:27 +0000
Ben Bell <bjb-linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Len: the USB keyboard definitely wins for cheap and simple, but I think I'm
> more likely to use something like a NanoKontrol or build something custom
> on the back of an Arduino.
>
> bjb

I guess it depends on how close you want to go to the metal :)

An Arduino Mega might be an interesting option for interfacing. You'd have
8 analog inputs, about 40 digital I/O and 3 native serial ports than can go up
to 115200 baud, as well as I2C.

If you use something like ttyMIDI on your host machine you could separate
controllers and actual keyboard messages onto different ports which should
eliminate possible contention.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk