Re: [LAU] Saving a Jack session

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2016 - 09:39:39 EET

Hi worik,

worik wrote:
> When I laboriously set up a Jack session, how do I save it so I can have
> all the elements (mixers, effects, audacity...) and the connections
> between them start with one command?
>
> I know there is a thing for it (lash?) but I have had no success over
> several years.

Qjackctl docs say that in 2013, "Session infra-client
management finally being added." I haven't investigated.
Another session manager is Non-Session.[1]

A more pedestrian approach would be to use audio tools that
allow setup through shell scripts. jack_connect is a utility
that can create connections. I consider scripts to be a
flexible if slightly fiddly way to work.

Nama[2] currently provides record hooks for setup or
teardown scripts that can be associated with each track.
That has been enough for users to get their work done, at
least for audio, which Ecasound handles.

For MIDI, midish has an interface simple enough to
be scripted, and seems to work sufficiently well with
Nama (for some definition of sufficient :)

From what I've seen there are choices, but not any
overwhelming winner.

cheers,

Joel