Re: [LAU] Linux VST/VSTi list updated

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2016 - 11:43:07 EET

On 03/20/2016 04:57 AM, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
> Hello Dave,

Hi Edgar, always good to hear from you ! :)

> While I really appreciate your efforts to update your pages, i also
> wonder; didn't you announce a few years ago that you couldn't find the
> time to do this on a regular basis, and didn't that announcement lead
> to the whole "database" being converted/transferred/whatever to
> apps.linuxaudio.org? Personally I think it is cumbersome to look up
> several sites of information when I search for a certain app or
> plugin, and would much prefer if we would join efforts and try to keep
> it central. So I'd like to suggest just that,, wouldn't it make sense
> to keep the apps page at linuxaudio.org current and collaborate there?
> I know of course about the lack of organisation etc., I myself have
> contributed to an overhaul of the linuxaudio hardware pages, about a
> year ago, which lost momentum after some weeks and therefore we have
> now about three different pages with related information, just on
> linuxaudio.org.

A fair concern, so I'll answer carefully. First, as I announced, I have
given up on the pages linux-sound.org. The *only* exception is the Linux
VSTs page, which I continue to maintain precisely because I saw no-one
else doing it.

Yes, linuxaudio.org needs some TLC, and it would make sense to
collaborate. Alas, these days I'm dedicating my time and energies to
composing, and I have little time for much else. Every now & then I'll
update that page, but that's all I care to do now re: linux-sound.org.
I've received a number of good suggestions for improving the page
itself, and I'll try to follow up on some of them. Meanwhile it remains
utilitarian, unadorned with graphics, unencumbered by ads, and merely
presenting the plugin names and their links.

The lack of organization at linuxaudio.org has a chilling effect on my
good intentions. If the first order of the day is re-organizing that
material, then I defer to my other commitments and bow out. OTOH,
everything I post is freely available. Yes, it's a reduplication of
efforts, but anyone is welcome to the material I post at
linux-sound.org, to add whatever further clarifications they would like
to see there (license, cost, source/binary, etc) and repost it elsewhere.

In other words: Sorry, gang, it's all I can do at this time just to
maintain the list. Incidentally, if you search Google for "linux vst
plugins" the first hit is to my page. The first hit to linuxaudio.org
appears on the second page of Google's search results, it's a link to
the commercial software page.

At 65 time has become something more of a very clearly perceptible
finite quantity.

> Cheers, Edgar

Ta very much, , my friend. I hope you're still rocking the archicembalo. :)

Best,

dp