Re: [LAU] Music: Little Latin Jazz for Collaboration

From: S D <stephen.doonan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 21 2016 - 23:35:05 EET

On Mar 21, 2016 10:32 AM, "Glen MacArthur" <info@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Just one more question.. what is the BPM of this piece? Just in the
> interest of syncing in new parts.
>
> Thanks again for all your efforts!
>
> Glen

As I responded to Glen personally (not to the list), I didn't use a
metronome nor strict beats-per-minute (BPM) for the Latin Jazz composition
for collaboration, because it generally seems to me to sound more like a
live performance if the beat, although regular (not too sloppy), is not too
strict, UNLESS the composition is built around and up from a percussion
track. However, I'll bet that many drummers prefer not to adhere to too
strict a timing either, so that they can relax into a comfortable "groove"
which might actually sound better than a strict timing.

In the case of this composition, I'm hopeful that the piano part, which
introduces the piece without the necessity of percussion at the start of
the piece, will provide enough rhythmic cues, clues and regularity for
percussion or lead-instrument collaborators to adequately time their own
instruments and contributions "by ear."

If that is not the case, I would be happy to rerecord the entire piece
using a strict beats-per-minute and a metronome.

And a note to Glen, great music at your website-- Rated: Blue
http://www.bandshed.net/ratedblue/

:-)
Steve
https://stephendoonan.bandcamp.com