Re: [LAU] Ardour: exporting woes

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 23 2016 - 23:40:58 EET

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 03:05:03PM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Great. trivially simple cases are those which are best left as exercise
> to the reader, right? :)

It would be trivial for someone familiar with the Ardour code.
For me it would probably take a few days to get to grips with
the build environment, the dependencies and finally the code
itself.

Half a year ago I worked most of two weeks implementing some
rather fundamental changes in Jack1. At least 95% of that time
was spent getting familiar with the existing code in order to
have at least an idea of the consequences of the changes I
needed to make. The algorithm itself that I implemented was
not the problem, I could dream it.

The only result is that I got slapped on my wrists for cleaning
up the inconsistent and outright confusing layout of the parts
of the code that I needed to understand. In the end the only
difference between what I did and the 'official' style was the
placement of matching braces (*) Not really motivating me to
contribute again. As far as I know (half a year later) I just
wasted my time.

Ciao,

(*) I put them either on the same line or in the same column.
This provides strong visual cues to code structure. For those
who don't like that there are tools to change this to whatever
scheme they like without much effort.

--
FA