Re: [LAU] Ardour: exporting woes

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 24 2016 - 00:40:43 EET

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 11:06:36PM +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 03/23/2016 10:40 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > (*) I put them either on the same line or in the same column.
> > This provides strong visual cues to code structure. For those
> > who don't like that there are tools to change this to whatever
> > scheme they like without much effort.
>
> Well, one can argue over style all day..
>
> The unwritten rule is to follow the coding style of the project that one
> contributes to (if you like that style or not). But if you have to
> change the style please keep it separate:
>
> Pretty much all FLOSS projects out there (and I imagine most proprietary
> projects too) separates NO-OP whitespace changes from actual code
> changes and most of them refuse to merge changes that mix both in a
> single commit or patch to some degree.
>
> That helps a lot to review code changes.

Besides the point. The original code wasn't an example
of clean and consistent style in the first place.

Another simple fact is that half a year later Jack1 still
runs clients in the wrong order if you are unlucky. One
of my colleagues was hit by this again just two weeks ago.
She spent three days trying to find out what was wrong with
her code before I spotted the problem. If such a fundamental
problem remains unfixed after six months because of a silly
disagreement on where the {} should be that doesn't really
promote confidence.

Ciao,

--
FA