Re: [LAU] metering, mixing levels was Re: Ardour: exporting woes

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2016 - 15:25:56 EEST

On 04/12/2016 02:12 PM, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:58:10 +0200
> Thorsten Wilms <self@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> This sounds like you still haven't understood what normalization
>> does. Given one session of one piece of music, normalization doesn't
>> modify "levels", it modifies one level, making it equivalent to
>> nudging the master gain fader.
>
> I'd say I have an idea in the ballpark of what it does, as Robin
> explained it here, for one.
>
> So above it says: "making it equivalent to nudging the master gain
> fader."
>
> That's it. Why would 3 weeks of work on 25 tracks be thrown to a
> mathematical function that will move one fader ?

???

That still sounds like you're confused about it.

If you normalise the master output, it does not affect your mixing
balance at all. All the mysterious "mathematical function" does is:
1. play the song through a "peak hold" meter.
2. look at the maximum peak level, say it's minus n dB FS.
3. play the song again with the master fader at plus n dB FS
4. save the result

If by "tracks", you actually mean "songs", well then, yes, if you have
one song per session, normalizing each one individually can upset the
loudness balance from one song to the next, but I doubt you'd get that
one perfect anyway. For this kind of workflow, when switching songs
means loading another session, I would recommend to export each song,
then create a new ardour session with as many stereo tracks as your
album has songs, arrange the songs one after another, but each on an
individual track. Then you can fine-tune the relative levels with the
channel faders and even throw in some extra "mastering" processing like
EQ if the songs don't quite match yet.

All best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487