Re: [LAU] metering, mixing levels was Re: Ardour: exporting woes

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2016 - 17:31:10 EEST

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:04:16 -0400, jonetsu wrote:
>I still do not see why I would throw anything at a 'mathematical
>function' at this stage of learning.

Using a fader manually it's nearly impossible to reach as close as
possible 0 dBFS, you at least minimal digitally overdrive, even if it
shouldn't be audible, or you stay at <= -0.x dBFS.

If you master an album with several tracks, then don't normalize for
each track independently, but instead normalize the album including all
tracks, this has got no impact to the loudness difference between the
tracks and normalization also doesn't add compression.

OTOH, regarding the dynamic range and something audible, it doesn't
matter if you reach 0 dBFS or e.g. just -3 dBFS. Unlikely this will
increase the noise to signal ration or something else in an audible way.

Assumed a too silent recorded analog signal gets normalized, the
noise floor anyway gets louder, too.