Re: [LAU] Mic correction with EQ

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Apr 16 2016 - 16:03:53 EEST

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 13:52:30 +0200 (CEST), Ffanci Silvain wrote:
>Or is that mic nearly not as important as the effects of the room on
>any live recording?

EQ settings depend on the used microphone and its position, the "room
noise" and the kind of speech, music, instrument that was recorded. I
doubt that there are default EQ settings, that can be used as a starting
point. I noticed that my iPad's outputs have idiotic boosted bass, so
IMO it's good not to add any EQ when using an iDevice with it's build
in sound thingy, instead the EQing should be done after importing the
WAV files to the Linux DAW. Assumed the recording already was
manipulated by an iPhone EQ, you're most likely stranded, since you
can't get back good sound, if the source should be completely biased,
let alone that frequencies might be completely cut away.
In my experiences enhancing the sound quality of recordings done with
cheap equipment is hard to do, while parts of the recording might
become good, other parts usually clang or are very muddy. Don't suffer
from self-doubts, if you can't get, what you try to archive. It doesn't
mean that you're an untalented engineer, it only means that you aren't
a wizard ;). As a starting point you could try to use a low-path and
high-path filter, perhaps it's possible to cut the lowest and highest
frequencies, but usually the rest of cheap recordings is that bad, that
you want to add some disgusting very high and low frequencies, so
cutting low and high trash doesn't work.

Sorry that I can't help, I only can confirm that it's more or less
impossible to enhance really bad recordings done with bad audio
equipment.