Re: [LAU] CMS for self-hosting audio files?

From: Christopher Arndt <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 27 2016 - 19:46:04 EEST

Am 27.04.2016 um 18:15 schrieb stephen.doonan@email-addr-hidden:
> Does anyone know of or can suggest a CMS (content management system,
> such as the many MySQL/PHP, Ruby, Python or newer GOlang alternatives
> that produce dynamic HTML webpages on the fly or static websites) that
> are focused on self-hosting of audio files at one's own Internet domain?

I just switched to Nikola (http://getnikola.com) for my personal site
and also plan to use it for a podcast site. It's a static site generator
written in Python. Posts and pages can be written in ReST, Markdown and
a couple of other markup format and your site can deployed anywhere
(even GH pages) without the need for PHP, Python, a database or anything.

> SoundCloud.com, BandCamp.com, ReverbNation.com, PicoSong.com and others
> are 3rd-party audio file hosting solutions/websites, but some people
> (such as myself) might prefer to host audio files (podcasts or music,
> etc.) at their own domain.

Nikola supports shortcodes, which make it easy to embed media like audio
and video files. You can also define your own shortcodes very easily
with a short Python plugin file or a template snippet. I wrote a simple
shortcode to embed an audio file with a simple HTML 5 <audio> element,
with no JS-based player:

https://gist.github.com/SpotlightKid/70f3ccdfacd9cfb091941a91f349924f

I also wrote another plugin, which uses the Noembed service
(http://noembed.com) to embed content from sites like Soundcloud or Github:

https://gist.github.com/94b3e9c7cfac467ff920d09efe601e0e

You can see both plugins in action here:

https://chrisarndt.de/posts/article/764/

For the upcoming podcast site, I plan to host audio on archive.org (for
content with open licenses only), since then I don't have to worry about
bandwidth. I wrote another Nikola plugin to embed the archive.org audio
player, which I submitted to the Nikola plugin repository, but the PR is
closed, because I want to rework the plugin a bit:

https://github.com/getnikola/plugins/pull/125

HTH, Chris