Re: [LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2016 - 12:57:45 EEST

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 19:45:19 -1000, david wrote:
>Well, I like multiple windows. I can arrange them on the screen in a
>way that makes sense to me, then leave them there for additional
>manipulation.

Dock widgets as provided by Qtractor or Gimp are a better solution,
apart from that an ultraconservative colour themes and structure
distinguish the good GUIs from flashy crap. If for what reason ever, a
flashy design should be preferred over sane ultraconservative layouts,
then the design should be modern and not a copy of the most worse
already outdated fashion ideas. Usability and decoration are two
different domains. I expect decoration for a sofa and usability for a
tool. One question of the poll is, if a user is willing to pay for it.
Users are willing to pay a lot for new editions of old analog synth,
users are willing to pay less for very powerful virtual synth. I
recommend to take a look at the iStore. I doubt that even many Linux
users are still using ZynAddSubFX, I suspect most users replaced it
with Yoshimi. ZynAddSubFX and Yoshimi are still very good and usable
synth, but IMHO users willing to pay for a virtual synth, nowadays
expect something completely different. The sounds that are possible
when using ZynAddSubFX and Yoshimi are very good, the provided presets
are way too stale. I guess less people are willing to pay for a new
ZynAddSubFX GUI, but more likely people are willing to pay for fresh
presets.

2 Cents,
Ralf