Re: [LAU] Sliders and knobs once again, was: Re: ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

From: Thorsten Wilms <self@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 30 2016 - 11:07:06 EEST

On 30.04.2016 02:34, Tim E. Real wrote:
> Wow, those are very nice.
>
> I like that the primary eye-catching part of the 'bar' is/below/
> the text while the part/behind/ the text is more gentle, subtle,
> allowing the text to dominate.

You're welcome!

After struggling with label legibility vs making it stand out where the
value bar ends, I figured the bar only needs very little height to
remain readable, if the contrast is strong. The behind-the-label part
only has to show where you can drag on, with the toned down bar making
sure everything appears as a unit.

The first variant with separate numerical entry area may suffer in the
case where after dragging the bar to within the entry part, you might
release and try a drag back to the left. Implementing a duration and/or
drag threshold could avoid accidental numerical entry activation, but
could only hurt on the rest of the widget. It might be better to not
have the bar-range extend to within the entry area. This variant here
happened because of stubbornness in wanting both maximum length for
fine-grained value indication and numerical entry with fewest clicks!

BTW, the thingies to the left of the sliders are meant as automation
activators/indicators. The very first one is in the no-automation state.
Clicking it should show/create an automation track. Once there is
automation, it appears as in the second row.

Drop me a line, if you would like to have the SVG file.

--
Thorsten Wilms
thorwil's design for free software: