Re: [LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

From: Christopher Arndt <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 30 2016 - 21:30:44 EEST

Am 30.04.2016 um 20:14 schrieb jonetsu@email-addr-hidden:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 23:52:58 +0200
> Christopher Arndt <chris@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I do like the preset browser, though. I think every synth or effect
>> software should have great preset managemen built in.
>
> Why code for this when the file system itself can organize the
> patches.

Because patches are more than the parameter data, or at least they
should be, IMHO. The metadata, apart from the bank, slot, name and
category should contain author, creation and modification time,
arbitrary tags and usage info (e.g. which controllers do what).

Also, the file system only has a hierarchical structure, one dimension
to categorize patches. There's no technical reason why a patch shouldn't
have (be in) several categories and be listed in both, or why a patch
browser shouldn't support "virtual" banks with "links" to your favorite
sounds from different banks, categories, authors and so forth.

Chris