[LAU] User interfaces for Audio [WAS]: Re: ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 01 2016 - 15:03:20 EEST

On 29/04/16 18:45, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Will Godfrey
> <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden <mailto:willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:37:25 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden
> <mailto:paul@email-addr-hidden>> wrote:
>
> > From Apple's "Optimizing Audio Unit User Experience in Logic Studio"

[...]
> However, I cited the stuff from Apple because a lot of people forget
> just how batshit crazy plugin hosting really is, and that for it work
> well, the plugin (developer)
> needs to be aware of certain basic guidelines. This is as true for the
> GUI side of the plugin as it is for the DSP side

There's also an interesting user-experience corer to it. For example one
thing I noticed in Ardour is when you open a LADSPA plugin window Ardour
still 'grabs' keyboard shortcuts (e.g. SPACE to play, HOME to rewind);
open an LV2 window and I'm most often hitting HOME to rewind just to
discover I've set the parameter under focus (usually a shiny knob) to
its minimum value :)

This is just to point out consistency, I'm not sure what is better in
general, in theory adhering to some Library (GTK?, QT?, ...) 'standard'
would provide a consistent experience, but then I guess I'm the only one
entering numeric parameters into plugins (and therefore usually prefer
LADSPA..?).

Lorenzo.