Re: [LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun May 01 2016 - 17:58:00 EEST

On Sun, 1 May 2016 16:36:58 +0200, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>Am 01.05.2016 um 09:28 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> Zyn isn't missing a "deep sound algorithm", it's missing presets.
>
>Last time I looked, Zyn had tons of presets and the ones I tried
>weren't bad at all, just often a little bit too effect ladden. I
>haven't used it in a track yet, so I can't say how useful they would
>be there, but still the situation is better than with most other Linux
>synths.

They are very usable, just overloaded. By turning off e.g. one kind
of synthesis and adjusting a filter or attack time, they become well
usable, but not unique. To adjust the existing sounds, there's no need
for a new GUI. Zyn and Yoshimi already provide what is provided by a
lot of synth from the 90th. A lot of wanted and useful sounds, but
nothing I would pay for in 2016. At least making a recording of MIDI CC
data, as part of the sound, triggered when playing a note, as the TG33
does, would be helpful. IIRC this should be provided for Yoshimi soon or
later.