Re: [LAU] Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK mixer/interface

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 01 2016 - 18:54:02 EEST

On Sun, 1 May 2016 17:32:03 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 May 2016 08:55:53 -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> >There are no actual channel inserts so you can't patch in external
> >gear.
>
> That's unusual, but what exactly does an insert?

I've seen a lot of debate on the issue of inserts. I suppose that if I had
external gear that was part of my signal chain, it would be a deal-breaker,
but I don't. If I had enough external gear to worry about inserts, I'm not
likely to be looking at this board!

The built-in limiters are a nice addition, I'm sure they'll be put to good use.

> >There is a single global phantom power switch for all mic inputs.
>
> Actually this shouldn't matter. Phantom power shouldn't cause an
> issue, if it's turned on, for gear that doesn't require phantom power.
> It's not unusual, that phantom power is turned on/off for all channels.

It's not unusual, no. All my mixers to date have had a single phantom power
switch. One just needs to be doubly-careful, and I'm less worried about my
active DI box than I am about my ribbon mic, which is not likely to get used
in most of my live work.

> I suspect that durability could be an issue and for sure repairing is a
> PITA, because most likely it suffers from a complicated disassemble and
> put together design. One minute is needed for replacing a bloated
> electrolytic capacitor, but most likely it takes forty-eight hours to
> open and close the mixer.

The build seems quite rugged, and I was lucky enough to already have a
hard case that fit this board perfectly. I know what you mean, though -
yesterday I was given an old Tascam 42B tape teck, a tank of a machine
built for studio use, Opening the back revealed a thing of beauty, with
actual repairable components and an eye towards easy access. Not much is
built like that any more!