Re: [LAU] Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK mixer/interface

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun May 01 2016 - 20:39:21 EEST

On Sun, 1 May 2016 12:59:19 -0400, Robert Edge wrote:
>I dunno man, I've mixed a few hundred shows on boards ranging from this
>sort of a thing up to fancy Midas/Yamaha/Crest gear. The lack of
>inserts would be a deal breaker for me and anyone else who has ever
>needed to put a gate on the kick drum at the local rock bar. Or a
>compressor on the bass or snare, or some dedicated processing on the
>lead vocal. These are the sorts of things people are doing every day
>on gear just like this.

Regarding the website of a music dealer, the mixer has got 8 microphone
channels with build in dbx limiters/compressors. For a ninth
microphone you anyway need an external pre-amp, so there would be no
disadvantage when simply connecting in series, the limiter/compressor
before the gain potentiometer instead of inserting it behind. This is
a EUR 879,- mixer with 22 channel USB Interface (? 24 channels ?)
http://www.thomann.de/gb/soundcraft_signature22mtk.htm
and with 2 channel USB Interface
EUR 711,-
http://www.thomann.de/gb/soundcraft_signature22.htm

If 8 microphone channels with dbx limiters/compressors aren't enough, or
the build in limiters/compressors are not good enough, then most likely
a more expensive mixer is needed anyway. IMO it's a good idea to drop
the inserts, to safe space and or money.

Regards,
Ralf