Re: [LAU] MIDI controllable video player

From: Christopher Arndt <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 04 2016 - 14:15:23 EEST

Am 04.05.2016 um 12:23 schrieb Michael Jarosch:
> For my work as an event technician, the use of an MIDI-controllable
> video player would ease my life. I don't mean xjadeo, which can sync to
> mtc - wich is cool, but doesn't fit to my setup. I mean something like
> playing a note on a keyboard signals the player to play, pause or stop
> the video, another note to switch to the next video in the playlist,
> and so on...

This should be trivial to implement using mididings:

http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/

Mididings has a unit named "Call", which allows you to call a Python
function. With this you could just use Python's subprocess module to
call vlc with the appropriate command line option to activate the
function you want.

http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/doc/units.html#calls

Or, if you prefer a more direkt approach, you could also use my Python
MIDI library, which includes an example, which shows how to execute
programs on receiving certain MIDI messages:

https://github.com/SpotlightKid/python-rtmidi/tree/master/examples/midi2command

HTH, Chris