Re: [LAU] Tilt EQ

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu May 05 2016 - 16:23:09 EEST

On Thu, 05 May 2016 13:46:03 +0200, William Light wrote:
>I have definitely used tilt EQs in the production process. Not as my EQ
>shape of choice but I've added little bits in as a broad "well, I wish
>this sound was a bit more trebly/bassy".

I heard the first time in my life of tilt EQs. After some web research
I noticed that it's just another kind of HiFi gear alike tone control.

Sure, we even could use chains of EQs and get good results, e.g. a
parametric EQ for the track, another for the subgroup and at the end in
addition a graphic EQ for the mastering, but we should reconsider that
a chain of EQs sometimes might ease the work, but also could be
counterproductive, one EQ reduces what another EQ boosts, in the end it
could cause a mess.

If I take a look at this plugin,
http://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/tal-use/ , I see more than just one
knob. Usage of some audio tools could make the engineering process
incalculable.

Another invention of the 70s was the exciter. I only tested digital
effects produced after the 70s and need to strongly advice against
those.

The meat and potatoes of relaxed audio engineering is cautious usage of
EQing. What seems to provide something useful in the first place, in
the end easily could become a serious issue.

As a side note, German audio Wikis are usually a good source and also
www.sengpielaudio.com/ partly in English. I suspect that Mr. Sengpiel
edited several German audio Wikis before he died. It might be worth to
translate them. When I learned, the Internet wasn't available, but I
would have used his information, if it would have being available that
time. IMO Mr. Sengpiel provides a little bit too much unneeded math,
instead of teaching intuitive engineering, but IMO his explanations
could be helpful for many people.

Regards,
Ralf