Re: [LAU] Isao Tomita

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 10 2016 - 18:49:56 EEST

On Mon, 9 May 2016 21:23:21 -1000
david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 05/08/2016 10:43 PM, Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
> > On 08/05/16 14:48, Will Godfrey wrote:
> >> The man who first inspired me with synthesised sound and music is no
> >> more :(
> >>
> >> R.I.P. Mr Tomita. You've more than earned it.
> >
> > Isao Tomita is one of the musicians that I only discovered
> > all-too-recently. I eagerly caught up with his discography, and my
> > favourite work of his is the Planets suite. Will be listening to that
> > today.
>
> I met his version of Pictures At An Exhibition while I was in high
> school. I was studying that piece on piano with my piano teacher.
>
> According to the Wikipedia article, his vinyl version of The Planets is
> "rare".
>
> I have both of those on original vinyl, now just need to get my
> turntable working again.

The reason the first release is so rare is that Holt's granddaughter kicked up
a stink, claiming it was an 'abomination'. RCA decided it wasn't important
enough to fight so just withdrew it. It disappeared off the shelves just before
I could get to a record shop to buy it (having heard a friend's copy). It then
remained in limbo for very many years :(

Just because I happened to have a rather nice half-track stereo Brenell at the
time didn't mean I was going to take a copy - oh no :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk