Re: [LAU] Isao Tomita, synthesizer music

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 15 2016 - 00:23:22 EEST

On Fri, 13 May 2016 20:08:24 -1000
david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> There are better quality vids of Ars Nova on YT, in terms of sound.
> Can't point anyone at them because I downloaded them.

When introducing a band I prefer to take something live, when
possible. Then if the person can hear something interesting, other
material is available. Live gives an extra edge, I find. (And in some
cases, a 'ghost' in the background)

> I wouldn't says "Move away, Keith Emerson." Their keyboard players
> are good, but not that good. Also not particularly inventive when it
> comes to sound. But they do put on a good show.

I know. The 'move away' was for the pseudo-dramatic cheezy effect :)

> Note about them. They often paint themselves as an all-girl band. Yet
> in a number of their concert vids, there's a man playing drums off in
> the shadows. Does make me wonder if he's covering up for their
> drummer.

> Just to avoid confusion with the other Ars Nova (American prog rock)
> band:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_Nova_%28Japanese_band%29

I think I will mention something. A documentary film is being about
my all-time favorite (French) band Magma, some 46 years later after
the creation of the band. They are still playing and touring
worldwide.

The mark was put high on the trailer narration, although I find that
despite this, the narration at the beginning is all right. It does
capture the essence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V80oFyeJh1g

Actually, this film will come out, and before, another one will come
out about their first China tour earlier this year.

Both projects got all the help they asked for from crowd funding (and
even more - the China documentary got close to double the amount)

Cheers.