Re: [LAU] M/S processing w/o 'convenient' plugins

From: Chris Caudle <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 17 2016 - 18:03:00 EEST

On Sat, May 14, 2016 4:03 pm, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> None, simply because there are no Linux plugins, as I know of, that
> have this option. So I thought nevertheless to give it a try to see
> how it might sound. I would use EQ. As Paul mentioned, it seems that
> the new plugin pin management feature would allow something like M/S,
> perhaps in an easier way.

I just saw an announcement that the new 2.0 versions of EQ10Q plugins
include an EQ with M/S option.

http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/?page_id=96

Click on the picture of the GUI control for any of the equalizers shown
there, in the upper right next to the meters is a selection for L/R or
M/S.

I did not check the previous versions, possibly M/S processing was
included on the previous versions, I just know that for sure version 2.0
includes M/S because that was called out in the release announcement.

And if you have any stereo plugin which lets you set left and right
settings independently you can use Steve Harris stereo to M/S and M/S to
stereo matrix plugins to convert to M/S, process the two channels
differently, then convert back to stereo.
http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html#tth_sEc2.68

And as pointed out previously if you use a development build of ardour or
wait for the 5.0 release you will be able to add two mono plugins to a
channel and use those to process the M and S signals independently.

--
Chris Caudle