Re: [LAU] M/S processing w/o 'convenient' plugins

From: Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 18 2016 - 22:04:35 EEST

On 17 May 2016 at 15:45, Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden.net>
wrote:

> 1. you have a stereo track already. disconnect it from the master.
> 2. create a mono "M" bus-
> 3. create a stereo "S" bus (yes, see below).
> 4. route both outs of the stereo track to "M".
> 5. route the L out of the stereo track to the first input of "S".
> 6. route the R out of the stereo track to the second input of "S".
> 7. invert the polarity of the second input of "S".
> 8. now add your desired processing (usually EQ) to M and S (use mono
> plugins for S despite the bus being stereo).
> 9. set the M panner to center.
> 10. set the S panner to center and maximum width.
> 11. set the M and S faders to -6dB to begin with, adjust S level to taste.

That's not how you convert LR/MS: in the master bus you'll get a strong
left channel and a cancelled right channel.

What you should do is:

1. (L + R) -6dB -> M mono bus, (L - R) -6dB -> S mono bus
2. process as you wish
3. (M + S) -> L out channel, (M - S) -> R out channel

Of course with "-" I mean invert polarity and then sum in the same input.
You'll need to use extra buses to perform that polarity inversions. The
details of the implementation are a matter of taste: you can use separated
mono buses, or stereo buses with the width at 0 (so acting as dual in /
mono out).

The point "3" can be used to convert a MS recording to a LR stereo.

-- Emanuele Rusconi