Re: [LAU] M/S processing w/o 'convenient' plugins

From: William Light <wrl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 20 2016 - 02:41:15 EEST

On Thu, 19 May 2016, at 17:07, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2016 16:18:44 +0200, William Light wrote:
> >On Tue, 17 May 2016, at 15:45, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> >> But: M/S processing is really only useful when you are remastering a
> >> stereo mix without access to the individual components, or maybe if
> >> you are dealing with stereo mic recordings as part of a larger mix.
> >> If you are creating a multitrack mix from individual channels, M/S
> >> buys you exactly nothing that couldn't be done better and more
> >> precisely in the individual channels.
> >
> >Disagree vehemently, M/S processing gives very natural control of the
> >stereo image. I find that I use M/S EQing when I want to shape the
> >stereo image subtly and M/S compression when I want to exaggerate it or
> >make it more exciting.
>
> In more than 30 years of audio recording I _never_ used M/S processing.
> M/S microphone technique is something else and is useful, because it
> does cause a mono-compatible signal, due to not being based on travel
> time, but instead it's based on intensity. To "exaggerate" a signal by
> intensity with a mixing console, just pan pots are required. IOW Jörn
> is right, if you have full access to the individual components, you
> could use pan pots instead (more than one channel completely to the
> left and the other completely to the right is impossible), resp. you
> could use more enhanced techniques to widen or "shape the stereo image
> subtly". "Natural" stereo hearing is much based on travel time as well
> as intensity.

Dismissing a technique just because you've never personally used it is
short-sighted. While I don't have 30 years of experience under my belt,
I'm far from a neophyte, and I find M/S processing to yield results that
are difficult to reproduce with "just pan pots".

I am curious to know what sort of "more enhanced techniques" you speak
of. Never can know too many, after all.

-w