Re: [LAU] M/S processing w/o 'convenient' plugins

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat May 21 2016 - 16:58:24 EEST

On Sat, 21 May 2016 12:35:25 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 12:50:52PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> In origin there can not be more than left only and right only,
>
>But there could be less separation, while you want more. How
>do you plan to do that using panpots ?

What are examples in the filed?

>> But from were do come stereo signals in the field?
>
>A stereo microphone (or equivalent setup) for example.

Yes, that already was pointed out by Jörn's explanation. I'm right
there with you.

However, if you're using double sided large membrane mics you could
stepless chose directionality. So you won't use pan pots for spatial
impression at all and you unlikely need M/S processing.

If you're using headphones as microphones, you'll experience issues
that can't be fixed, what ever technique you'll use.

>> If you have access to all components, M/S processing doesn't
>> make sense. How can one disagree with this?
>
>Because it's not true.

Then give an example. Again, there are no doubts that it could be
useful if room or mics are good, but not ideal for the wanted
recording. Apart from the examples given by Jörn, what are the examples
in the filed, that Wiliam and you disagree with Jörn's claim?

>> To disagree with Jörn's explanation is wrong, because he doesn't
>> pointed out something that is wrong. He pointed out that you gain
>> nothing by using M/S processing, if you have access to all
>> components,
>
>Which *is* wrong if presented as a fact. Even if you have acess
>to all components, M/S processing is in some cases the simplest,
>easiest and most intuitive way to achieve what you want.

Please, why don't you provide an example?

Regards,
Ralf