Re: [LAU] M/S processing w/o 'convenient' plugins

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat May 21 2016 - 19:19:27 EEST

On Sat, 21 May 2016 15:50:49 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

>> >A stereo microphone (or equivalent setup) for example.
>>
>> Yes, that already was pointed out by Jörn's explanation. I'm right
>> there with you.
>>
>> However, if you're using double sided large membrane mics you could
>> stepless chose directionality.
>
>*IF* you have that type of mic, and *IF* you can place it
>exactly where you want it, and *IF* you can control the
>placement of the performers, yes then maybe you can avoid
>having to correct the stereo image.

This is not the contentious issue. That is why microphony was given as
an example when M/S processing could provide something, that can't be
done without it.

>> >Because it's not true.
>>
>> Then give an example.
>
>I already did. You don't seem able to read, or to understand it.

No, you only pointed out an example that isn't a contentious issue.

*IF* you're doing microphony or *IF* you don't have access to
individual components of any other stereo mix, then M/S processing could
be helpful. That's beyond all question. Anyway, it can't do magic, the
more components are part of a stereo signal, the less you can adjust
with S/M processing.

*IF* you've got access to all components, then there is no natural
stereo source, excepted of microphony. Other sources could be

- Stereo synth that don't provide access to their stereo components, but
  usually a synth allows to do this, exceptions are sounds such as
  gated drum samples, of which all kind of samples are available, so you
  just need to select the one that fits.

- Stereo effects that don't allow adjustments, don't provide the needed
  kind of effect.

This are absolutely rare exceptions. Assumed you need to pay for what
you need, then you better pay for a good reverb, a selection of good
effects and synth that allow to edit their stereo options, instead of
paying for M/S processing, to fix issues that shouldn't exist.

*IF* you are doing a multi-track recording and no complex microphony is
involved, you unlikely ever need M/S processing. "Natural" and
"intuitive" spreading of a stereo signal isn't if you use the M/S
processing to improve the stereo master of a multi-track recording or
even parts (sub groups), excepted of stereo microphony or assumed
you shouldn't own a usable reverb, other usable effects or you only own
cheapest stereo sample players.

Regards,
Ralf