Re: [LAU] M/S processing w/o 'convenient' plugins

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 22 2016 - 12:59:03 EEST

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 08:32:45PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> I should clarify: I do like to use M/S matrixing to control the
> width of a stereo image, and M/S is a godsend when you have to fix a
> master after the fact.
> But otherwise I think that M/S eqing and compression are a bit of a
> fashion thing and highly overrated, unless the goal is for creative
> _distortion_ of a stereo sum. I don't mean that in a judgmental
> sense, only in the sense that anything you accomplish by MS
> processing will be artificial, not "high-fidelity":

Most music production isn't about fidelity to start with.

M/S processing of a multitrack mix isn't that different from
using EQ or dynamics on the same. Normally it shouldn't be
necessary - you can achieve the same or a better result by
adjusting the mix. But it may just be more convenient, as it
can be for EQ or dynamics.

Ciao,

--
FA