Re: [LAU] Question on Active Sensing message.

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 24 2016 - 04:58:51 EEST

On 05/24/2016 03:20 AM, Robert Wolf wrote:
> The world is small.
> How interesting!
>
> Let me explain, what I wish to accomplish.
> All my previous keyboards and MIDI equipment use Active Sensing.
> Keystation does not.

Great, less useless noise.

> It does not even use running protocol.

Why should it?

> In example, when I play a C-major chord, I would normally expect a
> keyboard to send this: 144 60 100 64 100 67 100
> Keystation sends this instead: 144 60 100 144 64 100 144 67 100
> (of course assuming the velocity was 100)
>
> So, the bottom line is: Keystation "speaks strange".
> The manual does not even include MIDI Implementation Chart, so there is
> no document to consult with.

There is the official midi spec, which can these days be found at
https://midi.org/specifications

> I like Keystation very very much.
> It just "speaks strange".

strange to you but not to me :)

In days of MIDI over USB, always sending normalized messages does make
sense, doesn't it? No need to keep track of the status byte.

Running status was clever hack to maximize throughput in the 32kbaud days.

ciao,
robin

PS. If you use jack, jack-midi requires all messages to be normalized.
(so that they can be muxed when combining events from different ports)
jack midi backend parse the stream and normalize messages.