Re: [LAU] Google Magenta project's first composition

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Jun 04 2016 - 23:49:33 EEST

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 16:22:38 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Robert Edge
><thumbknucklerocks@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> I would argue that this is "process music", and that the actual
>> composers are the people that programmed the AI.
>>

>That was precisely my point, mostly.

Than this Google thingy is a tool, used for an opus, but not a machine
that does compose. This are two completely different approaches.

>I also find it deeply beautiful. But Reich didn't compose it to convey
>a state of mind (or heart).

But he did, because he is a being with emotions. He wanted to do it,
because he has a live, experiences, passion and an impetus. A machine
has nothing of those qualities. If you program a machine as a tool,
used by you, it's not the same as programming a machine to do something
on it's own.