Re: [LAU] Scripting jackd connections

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 16 2016 - 00:55:32 EEST

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 14:18:38 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, worik wrote:
>
> > Apologies if this has been asked and answered already but I can find no
> > solutns.
>
> It is a missing part of the puzzle for sure.
>
> > My jackd set up is quite idiosyncratic. When I plug in my external
> > sound gear I have to change the connections each time to get sound out.
> > I also use a variety of gear from the same computer each with its own
> > requirements.
> >
> > I would like to be able to write a script that would start up jackd, set
> > the default sound IO to use jackd (I am on Ubuntu Studio) start a couple
> > of other applications and change the connections.
>
> You probably really want to use jackdbus (what qjackctl on UbuntuSTudio
> uses by default) so that you can change the system device the jack server
> uses on the fly. See:
> http://gareus.org/blog/jack2dbus for the best recipe I have seen for
> detecting that a USB audio IF has been plugged in and switching jack over
> to it.

I don't know about ubuntu, but here on vanilla debian, jackdbus is quite a
headache for me.

Something (I haven't discovered what) is starting it up, and it connects to
onboard hdmi, if I then start qjackctl it sees jack running so doesn't apply
the setting I actually want, which is my KA6. It happens just infrequently
enough for me to forget and wonder why everything is connected but I'm getting
no sound :(

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk