Re: [LAU] [Music] Sans titre - Without title

From: Robert Edge <thumbknucklerocks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 18 2016 - 05:56:19 EEST

If you don't believe me, do this simple test:

feed a 1kHz tone in to the input

set 'analog volume' control in software to 0dB

connect to ardour or your choice of recorder with decent metering. set
meter point to 'in'

increase volume of test signal until you are getting 0dBFS. no matter how
much you increase the level of the test signal from here it will continue
to read 0dbFS. turn the signal generator up a good few dB so you are well
in to clipping.

record a bit of this. you will see a squared off wave.

now turn down the 'analog volume' control until you are seeing a nice
comfortable level. do not change the level of the test signal generator.

record again.

the result will still be clipped.

in fact it will be identical to the first signal you recorded, just scaled
down.

I mean, you guys do whatever you want, but that is what is actually
happening in your signal chain.