Re: [LAU] Single core machines.

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 26 2016 - 00:22:40 EEST

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 22:46:16 +0200
Gerhard Zintel <gerhard.zintel@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > Is anyone still using such a thing for audio work?
> >
> > --
> > Will J Godfrey
>
> I use a lenovo ideapad S12 (single core with Hyper-Threading) for
> PianoTeq and B4 organ via Wine (unfortunately the latter does not
> longer run in my latest Mint installation).
>
> I have to switch off network, Hyper-Threading and set the governor to
> performance and the internal sample rate to 22050 Hz to have enough
> polyphony. Then it works quite well.
>
> BTW: why do you ask?
>
> Gerhard

Thanks (and thanks everyone else who replied).

I'm trying to get some concept of 'scale' for want of a better word.

Myself, I still have one of the earliest AMD Athlons running at 1.1G and is on
it's 2nd PSU and 3rd? 4th? HD.

From time to time I run Yoshimi on it to see how it behaves. I have to switch
off most of the compiler optimisations as it doesn't support modern sse stuff.

I think it's fair to say it trots rather than runs :)

I'm wondering if I should continue to check against this, or send it off to the
home for geriatric computers.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk