[LAU] A bit of instrument patch investigation

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2016 - 23:50:56 EEST

Recently I was given a Yoshimi patch set with one instrument that takes 11.5
seconds to load! It's a pure padsynth one with a very large sample size. Well
the first bit of good news is that although it holds up the GUI for that time,
everything else carries on serenely.

However, this prompted me to implement a millisecond timer to find out just how
long patches usually take to load. It has actually been very instructive!

Almost all pure SubSynth patches take 1mS on my machine.

AddSynth ones can be that low, but rapidly go up into the tens if you have
things like unison and/or modulators operating.

PadSynth ones start at around 40mS and are frequently up to 80mS. Then of
course, there's that monster at 11.5 seconds!

Some of my multi-engine patches are about 160mS.

I don't know why we didn't think of this before. It will be very useful for
getting the right position when you want in-program patch changes.

In the current master I also added root and bank load times but in microseconds
(MIDI & CLI only). Typically 15uS for a bank change, and 30uS for a root
change, so it's probably not worth recording those!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk