Re: [LAU] [OT] Searching for an 80s song

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Aug 07 2016 - 09:24:54 EEST

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 23:05:06 +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
>> > "Unfortunately, this video is not available in your country
>> > because it could contain music, for which we could not agree on
>> > conditions of use with GEMA."
>>
>> > Germans are often forced to fake an IP :D, but I don't want to do
>> > it now.
>>
>> Very surprised by this. Germany is same as us. This is certainly
>> imposed by some German regulation.
>
>Apparently (amongst other things) GEMA claims authority to collect
>royalties on on works carrying a creative Commons license :(

AFAIK it's YouTube that censors even CC licensed videos, hence "it
could contain music" and not "it does contain music". They simply don't
check if a video does or does not.

The GEMA is the German collecting society. They get the money from
suing kindergartens for singing children's songs and much of the costs
of an empty CD, DVD, DAT tape etc. is a GEMA fee. German musicians tend
to use DDS instead of DAT tapes, because the tapes are identical, but
the price isn't, AFAIK is that the reason for this is that for DDS tapes
we don't need to pay GEMA fees.

The most evil for Germans is, that all Germans with a permanent
residence are forced to pay radio licence fees, even if they don't own
a radio or TV. We need to do this, because the government claims, that
everybody owns a mobile phone and/or computer and is able to listen to
radio and to watch videos.

There are a few exceptions who don't need to pay radio licence fees,
e.g. deaf blind people. But even deaf blind people play GEMA fees, when
they buy e.g. an empty CD or DVD for data storage.

Since GEMA takes money from the weak, such as kindergartens and deaf
blind people, why should they fight against a giant, such as
YouTube/Google? Especially since they most likely get money from the
radio licence fees, too.

Regards,
Ralf