Re: [LAU] jam22: electronica improv

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 20 2016 - 22:09:02 EEST

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 16:20:00 +0100
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Another very enjoyable track. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. Thanks also to Ffanci and Harry, and everyone who listened or
will do.

If I my take the opportunity to comment on the piece and specifically
on the structure. Since this is an improvisation, a jam of sorts, the
initial jest, the bass part, changed tonality spontaneously, without
counting anything, and then switched back, switched again and very
shortly went back. All without any counts. At that point, before
adding other improvisations on top of that I could have straightened up
that part. Determine a precise number of times to switch back and
forth then redo the track. Instead I left it as is, which created some
problems as other tracks were added because it took time before fitting
in that unpredictable change of events.

So I resorted to simple flow with it by feeling instead of counts. Or
instead of the expectation of a so well-known familiar number of counts.

This impromptu switch of tonality turned out, IMHO, to give the result
a certain charm. Especially for a piece made entirely from synths and
a steady rhythm track.

There's another one from a few months ago that also went about the same
way, jam6 (although not electronica).

Cheers.