Re: [LAU] Akai MPK mini mk2 config tool

From: Maurizio Berti <maurizio.berti@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 22 2016 - 18:41:08 EEST

I actually had a similar "problem" with the Novation Launch Control XL.
It looks like nor Wine or VirtualBox are able to see the device, but, since
they come from different manufacturers, you might have more luck using
virtualization. For example, I didn't have this problem with the M-Audio
Oxygen 2 (first version): the editor was able to see it and interface with
it, unfortunally it's no a very good editor.
From what I could understand, the problem comes when ALSA MIDI takes
control of the interface, even when its control is "released" to the guest
machine, the kernel doesn't really release it completely. Anyway, I'm not a
developer, so I should investigate on this more to be sure about my
assumption; probably I'm just wrong.
Anyway, give it a shot with virtualization, if it still doesn't work you
might want to boot to windows and set a "general" configuration, then use
mididings as a "proxy" to control how the mapping is translated to the midi
devices you want to connect your MPK to. Since I don't have a real windows
pc, I ended up with creating a custom program that interfaces with my
Launch Control and, actually, allows much more customization.

Cheers!
Maurizio

> On Mon, 2016-08-22 at 15:22 +0100, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Daniel Swärd <excds@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > > When trying to run the config editor tool through wine, the MPK
> > > mini doesn't show up in the list of available devices when picking
> > > what midi port to communicate with.
> > This will be a wine USB passthrough question / issue. Not sure if its
> > possible to achieve.
>
> > I had a windows machine around when I got the mk1 initially, and
> > haven't edited the CC's etc since.
>
> Hmm, I guess I'll have to reboot into Windows. :-( But still, it's the
> end result of using the controller that's important...
>
> > Good luck, -Harry
>
> Thanks. :-)
>
> /Daniel

È difficile avere una convinzione precisa quando si parla delle ragioni del
cuore. - "Sostiene Pereira", Antonio Tabucchi
http://www.jidesk.net