Re: [LAU] Fwd: JACK and gstreamer

From: Neil C Smith <neil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 23 2016 - 21:49:37 EEST

On 23 August 2016 at 18:31, Mac <ussndmac@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> But with something like a media player gstreamer disconnects and reconnects
> for every piece of media. So for instance in Clementine, a new client is
> started every time a new song starts and the client that played the previous
> song goes away.
>
> I suppose it has to do with the pipeline architecture of gstreamer.

Yes, generally, although it is possible to keep the pipeline live in
gstreamer, a lot of applications don't seem to.

It isn't necessarily a problem with the patchbay though because you
can use regular expressions - eg. my current patchbay uses -

out_jackaudiosink\d*_1
out_jackaudiosink\d*_2

The recently added port connection property on jackaudiosink also
allows to do a similar thing from the gstreamer side.

Looks like Clementine supports setting the audio sink, but wonder if
it allows arbitrary properties on it -
https://github.com/clementine-player/Clementine/issues/5378

Best wishes,

Neil