Re: [LAU] Crackles in audio - how to troubleshoot ? Tim's TEST RESULTS:

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 26 2016 - 22:50:00 EEST

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:53:06 -0700 (PDT)
> Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> has it's analog bits in a separate box. So just in real estate, The
>> d1010 has lots, the d66/44 has less and the 1010lt has the least
>> having twice the analog channels and preamps as well. I would expect
>> the 1010lt has as many ADCs on one chip as they could find.
>
> Interesting. By the way, thanks for your comments elsewhere on this
> matter.
>
> The d1010 does not have XLR inputs, though. This would mean extra
> hardware.

Same with my d66. I happened to have a mixer with preamps and direct outs
(from tape days, Fostex R8 as happens). IN any case, even buying a used
d1010 would cost more than a new 1010lt. (some of which seem to show up
once in a while)

It does depend on the use imagined. Portable with fewest possible boxes...
probably go USB. 1818vsl or something like that. Put up with higher
latency. Check it with each USB plug on the machine with no mouse plugged
in if it is a laptop to find the one that works best (doesn't reuse an irq
or get shared with some internal usb bit). If the computer used can take
internal cards, it sounds like it can, add a new good USB port. It sounds
like cost is important and that will limit you to USB AIs.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net