Re: [LAU] Audio interface for newbies ?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Aug 27 2016 - 16:20:05 EEST

>> > Is there any rational reason for replacing caps? What caps do you
>> > want to replace for what reason?
>>
>> On my 1010LT, one of the filter caps was visibly leaking:
>> http://offog.org/notes/delta-1010lt-repair/
>>
>> That's a pretty rational reason for replacing them!

Hi,

yes, that's why I explained how to notice broken caps, by either
leaking or if they are bloated. I only pointed out that if you can't
see dirt from leaking or a bloated top, then it's important to
understand what a cap is good for, before replacing it, without an idea
if it could be related to the described issue.

Btw. when searching for a circuit layout or at least a clear photo to
read what's printed on some components, I found the same link and posted
it.

If you follow the thread, there never was mentioned that the caps are
looking broken and even the described symptoms leave behind an
impression, that it likely could be a software issue. Running two
sound servers, while one sound server kept a zombie and runs by a
second instance, not clearly lead to borked caps. I also didn't notice
any comment what is shown by top, when the crackling appears.

So my recommendation still remains, as long as the caps are looking good
and the OP didn't run top and fixed the pulseaudio zombie issue,
replacing the capacitors just by guessing isn't a good idea.

Regards,
Ralf