Re: [LAU] Audio interface for newbies ?

From: Rob Couto <dbtx11@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 27 2016 - 22:44:11 EEST

On 8/27/16, Tracey <traceyanne@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> We may have to buy a decent multi-channel usb sound card,
> because of the lack of the pci bus on new motherboards.

It may not be needed after all :)

AFAIK all PCI slots are connected now to the PCI-E bus with a bridge
like the old PCI-ISA bridge and there's no way around it. Based on
former reading and experimenting with a desktop graphics card attached
to a laptop, I just searched for "external pci slot" and got exactly
what I wanted: The PCI-E to PCI bridge and a sort of riser card. That
means with the proper adapters or surgery, you could use a 1010 with a
notebook.

Just 1 lane of a PCI-E 1.0 bus is already faster than the entire
shared bandwidth of a classic PCI bus so it's certainly not a problem.
YMMV and would probably depend on the quality of that bridge IC. In
any case this seems to require yet more delightfully affordable
Chinese stuff and yet more testing.

--
Rob