Re: [LAU] pulseaudio (again)

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 28 2016 - 20:51:44 EEST

On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 18:27:51 +0100
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> In a moment of stupidity I managed to trash the install on one of my
> machines. There was no practical way to undo the damage (this is
> debian testing) so I did a fresh install from scratch - I must say
> the debian install discs have improved a lot!

Do they include ping nowadays ? Or do they still find it takes too
much place and is absolutely not needed ? :)

> Anyway the first time I tried to do any audio work I got Xruns all
> over the place on stuff that had been rock-solid previously. However,
> a quick look at htop revealed that pulseaudio was running three
> threads right in the middle of the jack stuff. Deleting just the
> 'pulseaudio' server cured the problem, and nothing else seems to
> complain.

First time I hear about htop. Just compiled it and installed it.
I'll use that for the next 'crackling session'. Did you use the F5
'Tree' option ? - any other interesting options to aid in
troubleshooting ?

> The icing on the cake is that various programs that like to make
> annoying beeps and bongs are now quite silent :)

It's amazing how this is still going on. It should be very clear
that the hollywoodian sci-fi paradigm of having beeps and
blops going one with electronic instruments does not make any sense.
It will turn anyone mad to spend 1 year in space with that noise
going on for the most of the time. Software makers still think it's a
good thing to have a beep along warning and error messages. There are
rare cases of practical use, as when receiving emails, and that's
a maybe.