Re: [LAU] DAW file format

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 12 2016 - 00:39:00 EEST

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Alf Haakon Lund <alf@email-addr-hidden>
wrote:

> It seems to me that most DAWs on linux are 'operating on' WAV files.
> However I see there are other options, like in Ardour's
> session/properties/media tab
>
> Except for losing the 4 GB limit on file size, are there other advantages
> of using for example broadcast rf64?

metadata, primarily.

> Will Ardour just change the default once I change this setting, and is it
> safe to change on a work in progress?

It will not change the format of files already created by Ardour; it will
change the format of all files created after you make the change. Since
Ardour can read and write all the formats it claims to support, it doesn't
care if a session uses files all in a single format, or in a mixture of
formats.