Re: [LAU] Dereverberation

From: Giso Grimm <gg3137@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 13 2016 - 00:07:56 EEST

On 09/11/2016 10:14 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> Does anyone have access to an easy to implement (as in code)
> dereverberation algorithm assuming one has access to the room impulse
> response? I am looking for a way to clean-up recorded audio signal in
> order to improve signal clarity (e.g. speech). Any info on this topic is
> most appreciated.

a common way to achieve dereverberation in speech processing is to use
spatially separated microphones (e.g., binaural), and use the
inter-microphone coherence function as an estimator of the gain. There
are different approaches of calculating the coherence function,
basically they are all frequency-domain based (but often with short
analysis blocks/low resolution), and require some temporal smoothing.
The artefacts are annoying if set to strong filtering, but subtle
settings may decrease listening effort and are (especially by hearing
impaired listeners) preferred over unprocessed signals.

Below I added are some references, you will see that the basic algorithm
was available already in the 70ies... If you need any of the
publications or some code hints let me know off-list.

Best,

Giso

@Article{Allen1977b,
  Title = {Multimicrophone signal-processing
technique to remove room reverberation from speech signals},
  Author = {Jont B. Allen and D. A. Berkley and J.
Blauert},
  Journal = jasa,
  Year = {1977},

  Month = oct,
  Number = {4},
  Pages = {912-915},
  Volume = {62}
}

@Article{Kollmeier1993,
  Title = {Binaural Noise-reduction Hearing Aid
Scheme with R
eal-time Processing in the Frequency Domain},
  Author = {B. Kollmeier and J. Peissig and V. Hohmann},
  Journal = {Scand Audiol},
  Year = {1993},
  Pages = {28-38},
  Volume = {Suppl. 38}
}

@Article{Wittkop2003,
  Title = {Strategy-selective noise reduction for
binaural digital hearing aids},
  Author = {Wittkop, Th. and Hohmann, V.},
  Journal = {Speech Communication},
  Year = {2003},
  Pages = {111-138},
  Volume = {39}
}

@Article{Grimm2009a,
  Title = {Increase and subjective evaluation of
feedback stability in hearing aids by a binaural coherence based noise
reduction scheme},
  Author = {Giso Grimm and Volker Hohmann and Birger
Kollmeier},
  Journal = {IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and
Language Processing},
  Year = {2009},

  Month = {September},
  Number = {7},