Re: [LAU] How to compile Yoshimi

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 16 2016 - 19:31:55 EEST

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 19:16:35 +0100
Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:28:08 -0400
> "jonetsu@email-addr-hidden" <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 08:45:03 +0100
> > Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Hopefully you've picked up on what the others have said now.
> > > I've been intending to have a look at the Install file to bring
> > > it up to date.
> >

> > Thanks Will (and everybody else) - much appreciated.
> >
> > Yoshimi has compiled and 'make install' was run. The last lines
> > shows:
> >
> > -- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/icons/yoshimi_alt.svg
> >
> > -- Up-to-date: /usr/local/share/appdata/yoshimi.appdata.xml
> >
> > -- Up-to-date:
> > /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2/yoshimi.lv2/yoshimi_lv2.so
> >
> > -- Up-to-date:
> > /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2/yoshimi.lv2/manifest.ttl
> >
> > -- Up-to-date:
> > /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2/yoshimi.lv2/yoshimi.ttl
> >
> > Checking it out (I'm not saying make install is a liar ! :) :
> >
> > % ll /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2/yoshimi.lv2/yoshimi_lv2.so
> >
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2479429 sep 15 09:06
> > /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2/yoshimi.lv2/yoshimi_lv2.so
> >
> > And so I added the following to Mixbus 32C (Ardour) plugins config:
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2/
> >
> > And did a rescan of the plugins. The plugin manager could not
> > find Yoshimi. Restarted Mixbus, tried again, no. Then I added
> > the plugin path:
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lv2/yoshimi.lv2/
> >
> > Rescanned, and did the same steps. No Yoshimi in sight.
> >
> > That seems much straightfoward. All other plugins in various
> > locations (some in directoires from the user home directory) are
> > seen and can be used.
> >
> > What gives ?
> >
> > Cheers.
>

> Did you use ccmake . at the start?
>
> If not, please do and Check the entry 'LV2_INSTALL_DIR'
>
> I find it works perfectly if set to lib/lv2
>
> I regularly test with ardour, Muse and Qtractor. Anywhere else and
> there seems to be all sorts of issues.

I use non standard locations such as ~/vst/u-he/ and I simply add that
path to Ardour's or Bitwig's config. Although I can try changing the
default location when building Yoshimi, to lib/lv2.

Once changed and compiled, and with Ardour (Mixbus 32C) being told
about the path, followed by a rescan, Yoshimi is now on an Ardour
MIDI track, a keyboard is connected and assigned. When a note is played
the blue bar in Yoshimi moves, Ardour shows MIDI activity on that track
but, no signal gets to the VU of that track. There is audio, synth
sounds are heard from Yoshimi, but nothing register on the track's VU.
The fader works, though. First time I see this. Fader works but no VU
feedback. The master VU shows audio activity, but not the VU for
Yoshimi's track.

Of course, if I enable Zebra2 for the same keyboard, both the Zebra2
and the Yoshimi sounds are heard. But only Zebra2 shows up on its
track VU. The Yoshimi track VU still shows nothing. It's like
bypassing that VU completly and tapping elsewhere into Ardour.... but
the track fader works.

I wonder what other implications this very strange thing may have.

Cheers.