Re: [LAU] How to compile Yoshimi

From: Bill Purvis <bill@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 17 2016 - 12:03:41 EEST

On 16/09/16 22:35, Jeremy Carter wrote:
> "Compared with Zyn 2.4.0 (when the fork was made by Cal), visible changes are:"
>
> It's not a valid comparison to compare Yoshimi's features in 2016
> against Zyn's features in 2009. Zyn has put out 9 new release versions
> since 2009, and likely has most of the same features now that you
> mention.
The thing I like about mailing lists is the arguments that come up from
time to time!

I think Yoshimi is great! I'm new to Linux Audio, did most of my music
using a Korg X5DR
driven by a home grown sequencer over the serial port (then via a
USB-Serial adapter).

I still use the sequencer, though I have recently been able to adapt it
to use Jack for output.
I've yet to sort out Jack for input. I doubt if it will ever reach a
state where it could compete
with Ardour, which I recently started using, but it's good enough for
much of what I do.

I tried using Yoshimi because it got frequent mentions on this list, and
was available from the
Mint repositories. I've since downloaded and compiled the latest version
and think that it's a
nice piece of work. If I ever get time to try out Zyn I may switch to
preferring that, but for
the moment, Yoshimi sound good, though I also use the Calf plugins as
they support a decent
General Midi patches.

It's like cars (automobiles?): you try one and like it. It probably has
the odd feature that
could be improved, so you try a different make/model, it called choice.
Sometimes we make
bad choices and sometimes good ones, but the nice thing is that we have
choice. Will has
provided us with choice, so don't knock it!

Let's now bury this discussion....

Bill