Re: [LAU] yoshimi, zyn and Ardour (was: Re: How to compile Yoshimi)

From: David Jones <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 17 2016 - 21:46:04 EEST

On Sep 17, 2016 02:45, jonetsu@teksavvy.com wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 10:03:41 +0100
> Bill Purvis <bill@billp.org> wrote:
>
> > I tried using Yoshimi because it got frequent mentions on this list,
> > and was available from the
> > Mint repositories. I've since downloaded and compiled the latest
> > version and think that it's a
> > nice piece of work. If I ever get time to try out Zyn I may switch to
> > preferring that, but for
> > the moment, Yoshimi sound good, though I also use the Calf plugins as
> > they support a decent
> > General Midi patches.
>
> I compiled yoshimi because I thought zyn was no longer supported.  So I
> tried zyn yesterday.  First of all I must say I do not program synth
> sounds, at least not yet.  I will adjust some parameters to fit a piece
> but I'm certainly not creating sounds.  I use synths as in using a
> guitar.  I am not making guitars, I am playing instead.
>
> Because of this, I found the sound selections provided with zyn quite
> interesting.  Especially the Italian sounds, but also others.  The rest
> I find is identical to yoshimi.  So because of this broader choice of
> sounds I will use zyn.
>
> It also seems they are working on a major 3.0 update, which brings the
> next two comments.  Yesterday I played zyn for about 45 minutes,
> improvising.  During those times I might record ideas as they
> spontaneously happen, or I might just forget about then and enjoy the
> spur of the moment.  This means I run the synth inside a host, Bitwig
> or Ardour (Mixbus 32C) (1). The keyboard can be any, this time it was a
> Novation mini Launchkey.
>
> While playing it happened about 3 times that the audio output simply
> vanished.  I look at Ardour's screen, nothing happens, move the mouse
> here and there, and then the sound comes back.  In those times what I
> described yesterday using yoshimi happened: when the audio came back,
> the track's VU meter did not show anything while the master bus VU
> showed the audio.  Then it came back to normal, with all VUs showing
> the audio being played.
>
> The other thing is that by 2-3 times I recorded some audio.  This went
> fine but, when the recording was stopped and I wanted to quickly get rid
> of what was just recorded - as I always do using other synths in Ardour
> - by pressing spacebar to stop the recording, then quickly pressing
> Ctrl-z to get rid of the recorded region, followed by quickly hitting
> the 'home' key to get back at the beginning, ready to record again,
> Ardour stalled, for seconds.
>
> This means that zyn has the ability to stall Ardour, for any reason.
> Which is not looking good.  Such an application should not have the
> capability to do this by any means.  Having recently lost a complex
> project in Bitwig due to Bitwig crashing, I am wary about this kind of
> suspicious interaction.
>
> The last time the audio stopped was because Ardour has vanished from
> CPU existence.

> [...]

Yoshimi can record audio, too. I prefer to record MIDI in Rosegarden, tho.

My experience was first with Zyn. Years ago. Zyn and RT didn't get along. Yoshimi did from the first time I used it.

I have both installed. Yoshi can use Zyn's sounds.

I think both need a UI overhaul. ;)

David W. Jones
gnome@hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community