Re: [LAU] Laptop sound problems

From: Mathias Buhr <napcode@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 03 2016 - 12:50:37 EEST

Hi Bill,

I guess you're running pulseaudio per default (or you desktop
environment - from your description, I'm guessing you're using gnome).
Running Qjack (jack) then exculsively grabs the audio device and
prevents pulseaudio from accessing the device directly.
Take a look at jack2-dbus and pulseaudio-jack (package names may vary
depending on your distro). In the end, you'll need to configure
pulseaudio to use jack as sink when this sink becomes available. On
archlinux, pulseaudio is already configured in a way that should create
a jack-sink when you run jack-dbus.
The pulseaudio module "module-switch-on-port-available" is helpful to
automate the switching part. You also need to tell qjackctl to utilize
jack-dbus (use jackstart as "Server prefix" and enable the "D-Bus"
interface in the "Misc" panel of qjackctl).

Good luck!
Mathias