Re: [LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

From: jonetsu <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 14 2016 - 03:51:01 EEST

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 01:06:44 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> This guessing game is absolutely
> impossible regarding the creative processes of making music.

Now where did you get the notion that this is about creating music ?
It is about plugins. I might be rustic, but so far I do not use
plugins in creating music and if I did, I would treat it as a device of
some sort, artificial intelligence or not.

I do use plugins FX to add characteristics to sounds and that kind of
use would still be with Flintstone-era (!) plugins, and not the fancy
AI-like ones which are much more for mixing purposes in which case
distortion would be more like using tape saturation than a Big Muff.

> After
> playing a guitar and singing with a broken voice similar to Bob Dylan
> for a circle of fifths composition, should the network recommend to
> add fluid-dssi with a harp soundfont and an arpeggiator playing
> random pentatonic notes?

Hey, don't give me ideas for a next tune.

> I don't want some algorithm to suggest something related to audio
> engineering or how to make music.

These are not the same. True, there is art in audio engineering. And
mastering. Only recently have I started to hear the subtle difference
of a Fairchild 670 barely compressing on a drum/bass stem. The sum of
subtle impressions, their interrelations, and how to drive them in a
direction or the other is part of the art.

> The very most I do, is to learn
> myself, I e.g. would read about different recording techniques or
> e.g. chord progressions. If an app should help me to search a
> recording technique or chord progression, absolutely not
> interconnected with my recording project, such apps are ok for my
> taste. In the end I want to do the recording and mixing myself, based
> on my knowledge and taste.

Same would be with those AI-like networked plugins. Maybe a bit like a
grammatical/spelling corrector. You still write the text.

And then there would be cloud mixing. There must be a way to introduce
the concept of 'clouds' in there. Plugins that subscribe to a cloud in
which they can download parameter data based on audio/genre
characteristics. The mixing engineer throw a set of tracks to them,
they find out the instruments,they find out the style, the target
reference, then they go hunt for 'experienced parameters' in the cloud,
always according to the engineer wishes.

There wouldn't be any 'style police' that would prevent an engineer to
slam-compress a ballad.